The Pella Public Library has an opening for a full time Library Director. The Library serves Pella residents along with patrons in surrounding areas. The Library has a collection of over 81,000 items, an annual circulation of 240,000, and enjoys more than 100,000 patron visits annually. The director manages a staff of 17 within a 21,000 square foot facility and works with an annual budget of $700,000.
Under the administration of the City Administrator and governed by a seven-member Board of Trustees, the Director is responsible for administration of all aspects of library operations to effectively serve the needs of the community. The director will be required to promote strong community outreach and public relations; and possess professional leadership and management abilities to work in a team environment.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- ALA accredited Master’s degree in Library Science and 3-5 years of related library management experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in a public library is preferred.
- Residency within the City of Pella required
- State of Iowa Public Librarian Certification (Level 6) or ability to obtain license required.
Strong consideration will be given to candidates who possess:
- strong communication skills
- knowledge of strategic planning and grant procedures
- the ability to evolve the library by growing the collection, programs, and relevance in the community
- familiarity with current library technology and trends
Pella, Iowa is a thriving community of 10,000 located 40 miles southeast of Des Moines. Pella is known for its unique Dutch heritage, its annual tulip festival, and as the corporate home of Pella Windows. The Pella Public Library was founded in 1903 and moved into a new facility in 2000.
Interested parties should submit a cover letter, resume, professional references, and required City of Pella application to City Hall at 825 Broadway Street, Pella, IA 50219. Application forms and a complete job description are available at http://www.cityofpella.com/jobs.aspx. Applications and resumes will be received until June 3, 2019. EOE.