EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you to explore our unique opportunities. Content Designer
Deliver all LSD, IR, EDS data partner, and RDK database projects on time with high-value features by supporting all relevant teams throughout the value stream and continuously improving internal processes, from data acquisition and requirements through specification and configuration. The Content Designer’s understanding of the style/tradition of EBSCO database products, metadata standards and best practices, and technical understanding of EBSCO’s eHost and other interfaces allows a product to be built, quality checked, and maintained effectively.
- Collaborate with product managers on requirements for manipulating data to support key features for new and existing products within the EBSCOhost environment; this includes support for display and searching features.
- Write detailed technical database design specifications that describe how to map bibliographic data sources to EBSCO’s proprietary format; includes writing instructions for mapping data to XML formats.
- Use ETL tools to carry out the instructions in design specifications.
- Work closely with software developers and quality analysts on product configurations and complex data transformations to ensure accurate technical implementation of database functionality and appearance according to specifications.
- Analyze third-party data sources to guide licensing decisions and advise EBSCO’s data partners.
- Provide troubleshooting support from a technical design perspective for existing products.
- Provide insight into metadata best practices to help guide company-wide data normalization efforts.
- For licensed secondary databases (LSDs), design and build databases from start to finish.
- Ability to work independently on complex projects.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and articulately without being overly verbose or talkative. Maintains this standard in all forms of written communications, including email.
- Presentation: Ability to present product details to PM and stakeholders; able to explain options clearly; creates clear documentation and design specs
- Continuous Improvement: Continually focused on improving the responsiveness and quality of the solutions delivered. Constantly looking for ways to improve. Providing practical ways to apply these changes and inspiring teams to embrace them.
- Attention to detail: Does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project. Understanding of metadata best practices. Ability to assess metadata quickly, or make a complete, in-depth survey. In-depth understanding of the details/impact of eHost and Admin in database projects.
- Collaboration: Works effectively with team members and cross functional teams to accomplish individual, team and organization goals.
- Multi-Tasking: Thrives in fast paced environment that works on multiple projects and priorities.
- Organization and planning: Plans, organizes, and schedules work in an efficient, productive manner. Focuses on key priorities. Ability to work independently on complex research projects.
- Problem Solver: Applies critical thinking, troubleshooting and structured problem solving to address root causes. Proactively identifies and mitigates issues before they arise.
- Results Driven: Focuses on desired results. Sets and achieves challenging goals.
- Teamwork: Reaches out to peers and cooperates with supervisors to establish an overall collaborative working relationship.
- Technology: Use of technology for project management, including email and Rally.
- Positive Attitude
- Good Judgement
- Open Communication
- Desire to Make an Impact
- Eager to Understand
- Team Player
- Masters of Library Science degree, or comparable experience
- Minimum of two years in the field of librarianship or bibliographic database development or design, including demonstrated experience creating or manipulating bibliographic data in a searchable database environment
- Minimum of two years of demonstrated experience with web-based bibliographic database search and retrieval techniques
- Minimum of one year demonstrated experience with indexing methods as applied to bibliographic data
- Minimum of one year demonstrated understanding of MARC21 bibliographic format
- Minimum of one year demonstrated experience reading and understanding documents in XML format
- Minimum of one year demonstrated ability to balance multiple projects concurrently in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Business analysis experience preferred, including project analysis, requirements production and management, process flow documentation
- Experience reading or writing XSLT preferred
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Familiarity with standard bibliographic format standards (e.g. Dublin Core, JSON, NLM XML, JATS, MARC21) preferred
- Excellent technical communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail
Why the North Shore of Boston and EBSCO are great places to live and work!
Here at EBSCO we will provide relocation assistance to the best and brightest people. We are 45 minutes outside of Boston just minutes from the beach in Ipswich, MA. Ipswich is a part of the North Shore and contains a wide variety of locally owned shops, restaurants, and farms. It is not only a great area to work but to raise a family. Below are resources for you to review to better familiarize yourself with Ipswich and the North Shore area. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to reach out to EBSCO’s Talent Acquisition Team.
EBSCO Industries, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. EBSCO strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.
EBSCO complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or local law. Nearest Major Market:
Boston Job Segment:
Developer, Database, XML, Business Analyst, Recruiting, Technology, Human Resources Apply now
About this company
EBSCO Way is the philosophy we grow by. In addition to ten operating principles, these are the characteristics we value in our people and teams. We strive to fill our businesses with teams of motivated, positive people, unified by a shared set of principles and practices, focused on common objectives. We know from experience that environments like that create success and endless possibilities. We strive for a culture of entrepreneurship. We seek new ideas and encourage innovation. Successful team members are entrepreneurial by nature.
Location/Region: Ipswich, MA (US)