This position is located in Peoria, IL and you must be willing to commute or relocate to the area.
Qualifications: The person who fills this position must have –
• A vision of the greater good and a caring for other people of varied backgrounds.
• Mature judgment to handle challenging situations.
• Bachelor's degree or beyond in education, or a bachelor’s or beyond in social work with
educational courses and/or experience. Bachelor’s degrees in psychology will also be
considered if courses and/or work in education have been experienced.
• Experience in working with adults with learning needs.
• Excellent ability to organize work, meet deadlines, balance multiple priorities in a calm manner.
• Ability to work hard and be a self-starter with a flexible schedule to accommodate some evening and weekend program events.
• Experience and ability to supervise other employees to bring out their best performance.
• An inquiring mind interested in learning new job-related skills.
• A belief in a positive work environment.
• Ability to provide own transportation.
• Knowledge of community resources extremely helpful.
Programs – General
- In conjunction with Executive Director and Program Committee, create/implement new adult programs and projects consistent with our goals and resources.
- Learn what is happening elsewhere in similar work by researching, attending workshops and seminars, and applying and sharing this information at COMMON PLACE.
- Facilitate periodic evaluation of adult programs.
- See that program equipment and facilities are responsibly used, organized, and secured.
- Make budget requests to Executive Director for programs for next year at time required.
- Be familiar with and communicate goals of each adult program to those involved with their implementation. This includes monitoring of program outcomes for general effectiveness as well as for meeting grant goals. Implement corrective action when goals are not being met or negotiate for adjustment of goals if conditions render them unattainable.
- Ensure that grant reports are effectively prepared and submitted in a timely manner and that reports to Board and other funding sources are made on the schedule requested.
- See that selection/maintenance of program and instructional materials are appropriate and priced within budgets.
- On a daily basis, see that solutions are found for any problems that may arise in adult program operation including setting up building use schedule.
- Network with local community organizations and institutions to facilitate joint program efforts and program resources.
- Cooperate with Director of Youth Programs and other youth staff in referring children of adult learners to them for education so that COMMON PLACE is truly a Family Learning Center.
Adult Programs Staff
- Advertise for adult program staff when there is an opening; participate in interviewing and hiring them; conduct or arrange their orientation to COMMON PLACE and their position.
- Supervise Adult Coordinator, Academic Advisor, and any other adult programs employees including helping them plan their work and objectives, coaching them, and monitoring their accomplishments.
- Participate in workshops and training to enhance professional development in the areas of adult literacy, fundraising, supervision, or other relevant areas.
- Be aware of/help facilitate educational opportunities for volunteer tutors, adult learners, and adult staff.
- Keep the job descriptions current for adult staff.
- On the rare occasion when disciplinary action is needed, be prepared to take the steps necessary to carry out your responsibilities in a fair and just manner in accordance with COMMON PLACE Personnel Policies and the more detailed Work Expectations.
1. Work together with the Next Steps Volunteer Coordinator to plan and see that program is implemented, participating when appropriate.
2. Help see that needed resources are provided for the program.
- Write proposals for Adult Literacy and other adult program grants.
- Actively participate in fund-raising events for Common Place programs e.g. Walk for Reading and Love In Action Dinner.
- See that students and tutors are recruited.
- Coordinate multiple Tutor Training Workshops (TTWs).
- See that student intake/orientation, matching with tutor, and tutor curriculum preparation is done effectively and in a timely manner.
- See that class sessions are monitored and that student & tutor meetings are productive.
- See that adequate ALP records are kept.
- See the learner assessments are administered as required and in a timely manner.
- See that student and tutor support is provided.
- See that small group classes are supervised and coordinated.
- See that any computer assisted learning is supervised and coordinated.
- See that literacy classes held off-site are scheduled and monitored.
- Plan and coordinate special interest presentations or groups, such as health literacy sessions, financial literacy or other appropriate topics.
1. See that other learning groups such as pre-GED/GED sessions, family learning activities, computer instruction are planned and implemented when appropriate.
2. Provide oversight and guidance to the Next Steps Program, working with volunteer coordinator, other staff, volunteers and partners for success of program and participants.
Emergency Food Pantry (Supported by Coordinator of Adult Services)
- Supervise the COMMON PLACE staff person who is responsible for pantry matters.
- Observe use of the pantry by residents of the area to see if goal of the pantry (supplemental food) is being met, recommending changes in policies and procedures if needed, and working with staff and volunteers to implement policies and procedures.
- See that volunteers involved in pantry are supervised including the pick-up of food, storage of food, and disbursement of food.
- See that staff person responsible makes sure that pantry is locked and food is put away after pantries and that donated food is properly stored.
- Manage FEMA and other grants or funds provided for the food pantry.
Peoria Reads! – Coordinate the Peoria Reads! project along with COMMON PLACE Executive Director and in conjunction with co-chair from Peoria Public Library.
- Help write proposals to raise funds and then write reports to funders when required.
- Help select the book.
- Help plan special events.
- Make public appearances for Peoria Reads! as appropriate.
Administration & Public Relations
- Develop monthly staff report for the COMMON PLACE Board of Governors.
- Participate in speaking engagements as needed.
- See that news releases pertaining to the adult programs are developed and distributed.
- Maintain a sufficient supply of ALP and adult program brochures, leaflets, signs, etc.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by Executive Director.