LIBRARY BRANCH MANAGER I/II
San Mateo County Libraries
$7,036 - $10,185 / Month
Join us in igniting growth through transformative experiences as a Library Branch Manager I/II with San Mateo County Libraries (SMCL)!
San Mateo County Libraries are an invaluable community resource, an amazing family, a springboard for opportunities. And our staff is what makes it so special. We're champions of learning, sharing and exploration -- of open minds, new ideas and bright futures. It's our mission and our passion to strengthen our community by creating an inclusive sense of place and an environment for learning. We seek enthusiastic team players, creative risk takers and flexible individuals who proactively search for new opportunities to make public library services relevant to all members of the community. Join the San Mateo County Libraries team and become a champion of what libraries can be and do in their communities.
This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced manager looking to move into a progressive, forward-thinking organization, or for a skilled librarian to transition into a management role. Library Branch Managers report to a Deputy Director and are members of the Library's Management Team, leading the effort to fulfill our strategic plan. Library Branch Managers act as champions within the organization, ensuring that spaces, programs and services all embody our exciting brand.
Note: The eligible list generated by this recruitment may be used to fill current and future vacancies throughout San Mateo County Libraries, which includes locations in Atherton, Belmont, Brisbane, East Palo Alto, Foster City, Half Moon Bay, Millbrae, Pacifica, Portola Valley, San Carlos, and Woodside. The immediate vacancy we are looking to fill is anticipated at the Atherton and Brisbane Libraries, though this could change by the time of interviews.
The Library Branch Manager I/II:
- Plans, develops, coordinates, organizes, directs and supervises the activities of one or multiple library branches
- Develops goals and objectives for branch(es) and staff that align with San Mateo County Libraries' vision, mission, strategic goals and brand
- Manages and coaches a team of staff to provide excellent and innovative library services to the community in a positive environment
- Leads and supports staff in engaging in smart risk-taking, striving for innovation and embracing change
- Evaluates the effectiveness of programs and conducts community needs assessments
- Works closely with Friends of the Library and other community groups to support and expand library programming and services
- Leads and supports the planning and implementation of programs and services throughout San Mateo County Libraries
The ideal candidate will be highly effective in diverse settings and proactively seek opportunities to make library services relevant to multicultural communities. The successful candidate is excited about new challenges and is effective in communicating with people from a variety of backgrounds.
In addition, the ideal candidate will have the ability to:
- Visualize, design and deliver non-traditional and innovative library services that meet the needs of the community
- Provide excellent customer service and establish cooperative working relationships with the community, city, staff and library users
- Monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures
- Establish standards of performance and clear expectations for library staff
- Inspire, motivate and mentor others
- Problem solve using a collaborative teamwork approach
- Plan, schedule and coordinate tasks and events to maximize utilization of available resources
- Work with diverse populations in a multi-cultural setting
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and make public presentations
Because of the diversity of the communities we serve, bilingual language skills are preferred, but not required. Specifically, we seek applicants with the ability to read, write and speak fluently in English and Spanish, Mandarin or Cantonese.
Minimum qualifications include a Master's of Library Science or recognized equivalent degree from an American Library Association accredited college or university and four years of experience as a librarian, including one year of supervisory experience.
Final Filing Date: September 5, 2019
To learn more about the position and to apply online, visit our website at http://jobs.smcgov.org. Applications are only accepted online.
At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives to serve our community's needs.
The County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Location/Region: San Mateo County