City of Long Beach – Long Beach Public Library
Automated Services Bureau Manager
Brochure: Koff - LBPL ASBM 1 - Edited
About the Community
Ideally located on the Pacific coast just south of Los Angeles and adjacent to Orange County, the City of Long Beach, California is at once a Southern California seaside resort, an urban metropolis with a diverse economy, and a tapestry of small neighborhoods whose international cultures are woven into a tightly knit yet heterogeneous community.
Long Beach enjoys a quintessential Southern California climate that makes its abundance of cultural and recreational options appealing throughout the year. It boasts six miles of beaches and numerous beautiful parks and open spaces, as well as The Long Beach Convention Center, Aquarium of the Pacific, Queen Mary, and the annual IndyCar Grand Prix of Long Beach. Also located within the City are Long Beach City College and California State University, Long Beach, which has repeatedly been named a “Best Value College” in the nation by Kiplinger. Serving the K-12 student population, the Long Beach Unified School District consistently attracts international recognition for increasing student achievement and public education best practices and consistently ranks among the Top 10 urban school districts in the country in a variety of reports and rating systems.
About the Opportunity
The nature of this role requires an energetic, creative, and engaged management style, with a commitment to excellent customer service, and a passion for instituting change to improve upon established practices, systems and technology. The successful candidate will ideally have experience in library support services, practices, principles, and activities, as well as familiarity with its technology. The successful candidate will be personable, participative, and a good listener and collaborator; with strong administrative and interpersonal skills to be able to motivate and energize staff. The ability to maintain effective and harmonious work relationships with all levels of staff, vendors and the public, is key. As with any local government employee, a high level of ethics and integrity are a must.
The Ideal Candidate
The Manager for Automated Services Bureau reports to the Director of Library Services and has an essential role. This environment requires a leader with a high level of understanding of current trends and a focus on future directions in technology, while being able to manage expectations and project timelines. Supported by a staff of 10, the Manager for Automated Services Bureau will oversee all aspects of the Library’s automation systems, network administration, computer software, and automation contracts. Additionally, the Manager for Automated Services Bureau oversees materials contracts and acquisitions of materials bibliographic controls while also monitoring the Library's materials budget of $677,000 and non-fiscal dollars provided by the Long Beach Public Library Foundation and the Friends of the Long Beach Public Library.
This position is part of the Library's senior management team, which leads and advises the department on how to effectively respond to a rapidly evolving technology environment. The ideal candidate will be instrumental in planning for and participating in the development of future growth of library technology including, but not limited to, linked systems, mobile technology, patron empowerment services, library innovation, and the evaluation of integrated library systems. In addition, the Manager of Automated Services is the liaison to the City’s Technology and Innovation Department (TID) and will be working with the City's Innovation Team to maximize the benefits of technology and innovation for the residents of Long Beach.
About the Responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Plans, organizes, and directs the activities of the Library's Automated Services Bureau
- Takes a leadership role in positioning the Library to pursue emerging technology that aligns with community priorities
- Manages system-wide teams and projects to launch technology and innovation pilots that improve customer services;
- Collaborates with the Department of Technology and Innovation to develop, implement, and maintain technology projects and resolve issues
- Prepares and updates the Library's Technology Plan and budget
- Conducts complex research projects, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations, and preparing effective technical staff reports
- Manages and supervises all library systems and information technology, including the Library's management system, Sierra, and the library’s content management system for the website and digital services
- Recommends and implements new library software and hardware, including upgrades for network, server, and system appliances
- Organizes, supervises and coordinates fiscal, personnel, and purchasing activities of the bureau system appliances
- Hires, develops, evaluates, directs, and disciplines staff both directly and through subordinate supervisors
Education & Experience Requirements
A Master's degree in Library Science or Library and Information Science from an accredited college or university, with a minimum of three years progressively responsible supervisory and/or administrative experience in managing automation and technical services is preferred. Potential candidates who have a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in information systems, computer science, or closely related field, some library experience and five years of increasingly responsible experience related to managing automated systems, application projects and technical staff are strongly encouraged to apply.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $117,000 to $130,000 annually. Placement in the range will depend on qualifications. The City's compensation package also encompasses an attractive benefits package that includes:
- Retirement - City offers CalPERS with a benefit of 2.5% @ 55 for Classic members or 2% at 62 for new members as defined by PEPRA, subject to the limitations set by PERS. Employee pays the employee portion. The City also participates in Social Security
- Vacation - Twelve (12) days after one year of service; 15 days after four years, six months of service; 20 days after 19.5 years of service
- Executive Leave - Forty (40) hours per year
- Holidays - Nine designated holidays per year; plus, four personal holidays to be used at the employee's discretion
- Transportation Allowance
- Health and Dental Insurance - The City offers an HMO and PPO option for health and dental insurance coverage;
- The City pays major portion of the premium for employee and dependents depending on the health/dental plan selected
- Flexible Spending Account - Optional election for employees to reduce taxable income for payment of allowable childcare or medical expenses
- Management Physical - Annual City-paid physical examination
- Deferred Compensation 457(b) Plan - Optional for employee contribution to a supplementary retirement savings program available through ICMA Retirement Corporation
Additional information about the City's benefit package can be found at www.longbeach.gov/hr.
Important Application Information
To apply for this opportunity, please visit Koff & Associates’ website at www.koffassociates.com/jobs and submit a cover letter and resume. As an alternative, you can mail the cover letter and resume to this address:
Koff & Associates
2835 7th Street
Berkeley, CA 94710
APPLY BY: October 21st, 2019
The information contained herein does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract, and these provisions are subject to change.
The City of Long Beach is an equal opportunity employer encouraging workforce diversity.
Location/Region: Long Beach