POSITION: District Consultant – Full time (40 hours/week)
The District Consultant position provides a challenging and rewarding opportunity for a professional librarian with a desire to work closely with six public libraries in the establishment and maintenance of quality information service to residents of Lebanon County. The Consultant reports to the District Administrator and the District Board and serves as liaison between local libraries and Commonwealth Libraries.
Currently, the Lebanon County Library System contracts with the Lebanon County Library District for the duties of the System Administrator. The District Consultant works with the District Administrator and the Technology Administrator to complete these duties. System duties assigned to the District Consultant are listed separately below.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Clarifies State requirements and regulations
- Assists local libraries with personal visits, problem solving, planning, collection development, annual reports and grant writing
- Communicates effectively with various groups and individuals, including but not limited to Office of Commonwealth Libraries, Boards of Trustees (District, System, and individual libraries), Library Directors, and District, System, and individual library staff
- Provides counsel to librarians, boards, government agencies and supporting organizations
- Recognizes the importance of the library users and recommends new services
- Administers the Books to Go outreach program
- Oversees InterLibrary Loan and the intralibrary delivery service
- Develops training programs for staff and boards and conducts workshops in local libraries
- Disseminates information from Office of Commonwealth Libraries, professional organizations, and other sources to library staff and boards as appropriate.
- Engages in partnerships with other regional libraries
- Collaborates with local organizations, agencies and businesses to enhance library services
- Assists with the development of a Five Year Plan for service
- Reviews annual reports before submission to the State
- Assists the District Administrator with the District Negotiated Agreement
- Attends regularly scheduled DLC meetings with the District Administrator
- Searches for resources and funding for district services and local libraries
- Oversees District-wide children’s services. (coordinates group events such as Commonwealth Libraries meetings)
- Represents the libraries at community events, programs and meetings
- Performs other duties as required by the Administrator
System duties of the District Consultant:
- Oversee countywide United Way program (including applying, reporting, attending meetings, and coordinating with the libraries)
- Purchase ebook and eaudiobook content for the six libraries
- Coordinate/participate in social media presence
- Coordinate special System projects (GO Lebanon, Spring Into Reading Fest, etc.)
(The above are illustrative of the kind of work to be performed and are not intended to be all inclusive or exclusive.)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Knowledge of State Library Code and standards as well as the annual reports in order to assist member libraries. Ability to assess needs and provide educational opportunities for all levels. Knowledge of current library trends and legislative activities. Strong customer service and problem solving ability necessary. A desire to reach consensus and team building a must. A valid driver’s license and willingness to travel are required. Grant-writing experience a plus.
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Sincere interest in contributing to equitablelibrary service. Enjoy working with people; possess excellent interpersonal skills, resourceful and professional. Must possess good listening skills as well as excellent written and verbal skills. Must enjoy working with and providing assistance to individuals and groups in libraries of varying size. A clear vision and “big picture” thinking are essential.
MINIMUM EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Masters Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited institution with a minimum of two years in a supervisory position within public libraries. Work history must demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities of the position.
CLEARANCES: A clear record on the Pa Child Abuse Clearance, PA Criminal Record Check, and FBI Criminal Background Check are all required.
The Lebanon District Library Center is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
(This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee. It is used as a guide for personnel actions and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.)
Base salary is $40,000 commensurate with experience.
Position includes health insurance and enrollment in our pension program, plus, vacation, sick, and personal time.
Location/Region: Lebanon County, PA