LIBRARIAN III (3-openings)
Austin Public Library
SALARY: $23.44 - $29.80
FULL-TIME: Hours will vary but will include periodic nights and weekend days.
DUTIES, FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Explains policies and procedures to public, staff, and client public libraries. Interprets state and federal library laws and rules to citizen advocacy groups and governing bodies.
2. Investigates and resolves complaints involving staff and public.
3. Contributes to preparation and monitoring of division budget. Prepares grant applications for the division or for client public libraries.
4. Compiles bibliographies, reference guides, newsletter articles, statistics and written reports and other materials for the library patrons.
5. Processes new and incoming books and assesses collections on a regular basis to ensure a proper collection.
6. Serves on division’s management team and on library-wide committees and task forces.
7. Engages in long and short-range planning for the work unit or for client public libraries.
8. Provides direct reference service to the public or to the management and staff of public library clients.
9. Researches, appraises, selects and orders materials for assigned section(s) of the library collection or professional library collection of the work unit.
10. Appraises, organizes and processes special archival collections. Provides basic conservation of archival materials.
11. Researches, appraises, selects and orders materials for assigned collection (2) of the library collection or professional library collection of the work unit.
12. Conducts meetings, training sessions and public programs. Manages outreach and promotions for library system for branch.
13. Manages outreach and promotion for library system or branch.
14. Trains and consults with client library staff on collection development public library management, specialized services to library users, and utilization of electronic resources.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling and recommendation for dismissal.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Knowledge of supervisory and managerial techniques and principles.
Knowledge of public library issues and trends.
Knowledge of reference tools and procedures.
Skill in oral and written communication.
Skill in the use of computers and related software.
Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
Ability to stay current archival issues and trends.
Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other city employees and the public
1.Knowledge of customer service principles and experience providing effective customer service.
2.Strong proficiency and interest in current and emerging technologies as applicable to public libraries.
3.Experience teaching/training customers and staff individually and in classroom settings.
4.Knowledge of collection development and experience performing collection development tasks.
5.Experience planning/delivering public programs and conducting outreach.
6.Experience in leading others and/or
7.Supervising the work of others.
8.Proficient in Spanish and/or American Sign Language.
9.Familiarity in financial reporting, records management, and staff scheduling using web-based tools and software platforms.
Master of Library Science from an ALA accredited university plus three (3) years as a professional librarian, one (1) of which was in a lead/supervisory capacity.
Licenses or Certifications:
May require a valid driver operator’s license.
May require the use of a personal vehicle.
Must be able to stoop, bend, walk and reach to heights of up to six (6) feet.
Must be able to pull or lift up to fifty (50) pounds.
Must be able to push loaded book truck weighing up to three hundred (300) pounds.
Must have manual dexterity to operate computer keyboard.
TO APPLY VISIT: http://www.austincityjobs.org/postings/57844
COMPANY WEBSITE: http://library.austintexas.gov/
JOB OPEN: 1/31/2017
JOB CLOSE: 3/10/2017