It is an exciting time to be part of the Dayton Metro Library Team! DML is in the process of renovating or replacing all branch facilities and the Main Library, thanks to a $187 million bond issue. We are seeking an enthusiastic, collaborative, self-aware, professional leader to take the helm of our 120,000 square foot Main Library. The Main Library will offer innovative services such as green screen and recording technology, roving customer services, and over 20 spaces of various sizes for patron and community use. The successful candidate will possess an impressive background in community engagement, along with the ability to maintain strong relationships with community partners. This leader will have a superb track record of building and sustaining effective public library teams and will be expected to provide key leadership to the Main Library department heads and their staff members. We invite you to visit
and take the virtual tour of our impressive Main Library, which is set to open summer of 2017.
Essential Job Duties
- Establishes goals and objectives for Main Library which support the Library’s mission.
- Directs all public services of the Main Library, emphasizing a strong customer services importance, such as, but not limited to, information assistance, readers’ advisory, outreach, circulation, interlibrary loan, youth services, local history,Ask Me Line, and programming.
- Hires, supervises, and monitors the development and work of direct reports. Inspires direct reports and encourages innovation. Prepares annual performance appraisals.
- Meets direct reports regularly. Provides and directs the vision for Main Library departments and activities. Ensures the collaboration of Main Library departments.
- Analyzes requests and problems and presents recommendations to Deputy Director. Serves as the primary channel of communication between Director Deputy and Main Library staff.
- Ensures the efficient, effective, customer service oriented delivery of services to Main Library patrons. Maintains a current knowledge of Library operations, policies and procedures.
- Supports Library event planning staff, AV/IT staff and Community Engagement Manager by ensuring innovative and coordinated use of Opportunity Spaces, Eichelberger Forum, Theatre off Third, and Atrium.
- Collaborates with all administrators and managers to ensure smooth operations, coordinated implementation of the strategic vision for DML, and exceptional patron service.
- Develops and maintains rapport with community organizations. Identifies library needs in the community, plans and provides innovative services and programs to meet these needs.
- Ability to plan, schedule, and oversee operations and personnel of the assigned locations.
- Thorough knowledge of professional principles, practices, and methods of library science and administration.
- Knowledge of management principles required to coordinate a system-wide function.
- Ability to hire, train, evaluate, motivate and lead staff.
- MLS from an ALA-accredited program. Four to ten years of increasingly responsible experience at a professional level that includes work in branch and extension services with a minimum of three years supervisory experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Schedule includes day, evening and Saturday hours.
Compensation and Benefits: Pay range minimum is $71,663 annually with an exceptional benefits package.
Application Process: For first consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to Jennifer Kadel at
by March 29, 2017.