Salary: $21.31 - $27.06
Location: Austin, Texas
The Austin Public Library is looking for an energetic and proactive Librarian II to pioneer our new Bookmobile service. Candidate should be prepared to help in engineering a new service from scratch, experienced in outreach and community engagement with forward-thinking ideas to promote the library services and resources to underserved communities and across the city of Austin. Individuals should have previous experience working with the public in a library setting and be experienced in working with culturally diverse communities, have a strong ability to collaborate, identify process improvements, be a strong communicator, and able to work independently. This position will be stationed on the APL’s Bookmobile. This assignment will require additional duties and requirements some listed below.
DUTIES FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Assists staff and public with use of electronic information sources, software, internet and research databases.
- Provides assistance/instruction on use of library facilities and resources.
- Develops and evaluates collections of library materials and selects appropriate materials for assigned collection.
- Acquires, maintains, and assesses assigned collection.
- Generates reports and statistics on programming, funding and collection.
- Provides direct reference services to customers.
- Uses personal computer to perform a variety of circulation or collection-related duties.
- Compiles bibliographies and user guides. Performs original and edit cataloging.
- Resolves cataloging problems and maintains online public catalog.
- Appraises, organizes and processes special archival collections. Provides basic conservation of archival materials.
- Conducts meetings, training sessions and public programs.
- Schedules, coordinates and promotes library programming for assigned group.
Responsibilities - Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised: May lead others.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of money handling and accounting practices.
- Knowledge of books, electronic databases, internet resources, bibliographies and reference materials.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in using computers and related software.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Skill in reviewing material to insure accuracy, completeness and adherence to established formats and procedures.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective relationships with employees and the public.
- Ability to stay current on archive issues and trends.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other city employees and the public.
- Ability to operate required vehicle safely.
- Ability to read, understand and follow maps and mapping directions.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited university plus two (2) years’ experience as a professional librarian.
Licenses or Certifications:
May require a valid operator’s license and the use of a personal vehicle.
If assigned to the APL Bookmobile, must be able to obtain and maintain a valid Texas Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) within 30 days after hire.
- Must be able to stoop bend, walk, and reach heights of six (6) feet.
- Must be able to lift or pull book bags and equipment up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Must be able to push loaded book truck up to three hundred (300) pounds.
- Must have manual dexterity to operate computer keyboard.
- May be required to work in close/cramped quarters.
- For Bookmobile positions: Must be able to drive the vehicle (i.e. use of hand and foot controls, etc.) for several hours a day.
- For Bookmobile positions: Work may entail some exposure to outdoor temperature and weather conditions.
ADDDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSBILITEIS:
In coordination with Branch Services Division Manager, establishes goals and objectives for Bookmobile service
Safely drive bookmobile.
Work with Facilities Services to assure bookmobile remains in good working order.
Open and close bookmobile.
Answer staff and customer questions about bookmobile service and collection.
Assist passengers on and off bookmobile.
Schedule routes and visits in coordination with schools, nursing homes, and other facilities.
Serves as library representative in community meetings.
Direct work of circulation staff as necessary.
Provides reference and reader’s advisory service.
Perform outreach activities.
Evaluate, interpret, and analyze day to day bookmobile operations.
Develop, track, and monitor bookmobile usage and provide regular reports to Branch Services Division Manager.
Responsible for bookmobile’s collection and its maintenance.
May oversee budget.
Coordinates outreach efforts with APL Outreach Coordinator.
May lead circulation efforts of other APL employees.
Spanish Language or other foreign language preferred.
Previous experience in providing outreach.
Previous experience in providing reader’s reference.
Proven ability to exercise independent judgement to solve staff, customer, and operational problems.
Adaptable to changing needs.
Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact with a diverse patron population.
Ability to work a fluid or flexible schedule.
Open Date: 04/04/2017
Close Date: 06/13/2017
To Apply: http://www.austincityjobs.org/postings/59189
Company Website: http://library.austintexas.gov/