|Under the supervision of the Library Director, the Head of Adult Services is responsible for the efficient operation of the Information Desk, Adult Services, and the supervision of the library staff assigned to Adult Services. This position is a member of the Management Team, who participates in library planning, policy-making and may serve as the supervisor in the absence of the Library Director.|
|ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:|
- Oversees the interviewing, hiring, training, scheduling, supervising, and evaluating of the Adult Services Department.
- Directs Adult Services activities.
- Maintains contact with other city departments, South Central Library System, Dane County Library Service and with librarians located throughout the library system as well as vendors to represent the needs of the library.
- Plans, coordinates, organizes, and provides various cultural, recreational and educational related programs for Adult Services.
- Plans, coordinates, organizes, and provides outreach to the community as it relates to Adult Services
- Provides prompt and efficient reference, readers' advisory, and information and referral, bibliographic instruction, and other patron assistance services while maintaining patron confidentiality.
- Performs output measures of library service, collects and analyzes other statistical data on library operations, as it relates to Adult Services programs and services.
- Oversees the day-to-day activities of the library for public services and serves for the director in his/her absence, handling emergencies and problems with patrons.
- Works closely with director providing input in many administrative decisions, including developing policies and procedures, preparing the annual budget request and conducting the strategic planning process.
- Assists patrons in the use of the computer lab, other public computer workstations, mobile devices and emerging technologies, as they apply to Adult Services.
- Selects materials for purchase in assigned areas.
- Weeds collection and supervises inventories in assigned areas.
- Creates public relations and marketing tools to inform and assist the public in the use of the library, as it pertains to Adult Services.
- Conducts public relations campaign to promote adult services to the general public.
- Participates in continuing education programs.
- Plans and administers a budget, oversees equipment and financial management, as it pertains to Adult Services.
- Communicates effectively with staff and the public and maintain effective public relations.
|REQUIREMENTS OF WORK:|
- Completion of Master's degree in library science from an ALA accredited institution is required.
- Ability to hire, train, supervise and discipline employees, coordinate and delegate workloads and schedules and evaluate work performance normally acquired through three years of increasingly responsible public library experience including one year at a supervisory level or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Thorough knowledge of literature, reference resources, collection development, and adult programming trends.
- Considerable knowledge of current and emerging technologies and demonstrated ability to apply them to library operations.
- Ability to establish a positive working relationship with library trustees, staff, other city departments, volunteers, library organizations and the general public.
|OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:|
- Considerable knowledge of library operations, services, and materials, adult and reference related services and current library trends.
- Writes grant proposals to improve library service.
- Ability to comprehend and follow instructions from supervisor, verbally and in written form.
- Ability to understand library policies and procedures and apply them to library operations.
- Knowledge of and fluency in the English language.
- Ability to adapt in an ever-changing environment.
WORK CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
This work is performed in an office environment but does involve lifting or carrying up to 50 pounds and pushing and pulling objects on wheels weighing 60-80 pounds. Work does involve flexible work hours, including evenings and weekends.