Columbus Metropolitan Library is dedicated to hiring a workforce that reflects the rich diversity of the communities we serve. Respect is the cornerstone of our values and we live by the words at the entrance of our front door – Open to all.
PURPOSE OF JOB:
Leads and manages staff and building resources in order to achieve stated Library goals and objectives. The Manager aligns location initiatives with strategic and tactical plans. Get a complete look here.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leads a team of up to two supervisors in the effective management of operations at local level. Handles a wide variety of strategic and operational details. Delegates tasks, fields questions/complaints and gathers data to prepare supporting communications and reports. Serves as location’s primary contact with other Library departments.
- Develops, coaches and trains management, supervisory and line staff. Sets individual performance measurements for staff and holds them accountable. Responsibilities include managing, hiring, orienting and evaluating. Models Business of People and exceptional customer service behaviors.
- Leads location’s goal setting and planning efforts to align with the tactical and strategic plan. Communicates system initiatives to staff and customers. Coordinates tactical plan objectives at local level.
- Establishes and maintains collaborations with community agencies and promotes Library services through community outreach. Responsible for developing and maintaining open communications with professional and community organizations at local level.
- Solves problems at the local level and assists with problem solving at the system level. Owns customer complaints until issue resolution is reached.
- Interprets and communicates Library policies and procedures to staff and customers.
- Coordinates, initiates and approves paperwork and documentation to assure proper fiscal and regulatory control. Prepares and manages location budget.
- Assists in the delivery of services to the customer at all service points Maintains personal skills to assure quality of service in areas of Library collections, technology, reference, readers’ advisory and circulation.
- Attends local, state and national conferences or meetings as required.
- Utilizes computer applications and Library equipment, maintains current knowledge of system wide and location specific procedures, processes, policies and operations. Utilizes e-mail, voicemail and other Library technology to maintain open channels of communication.
- Performs additional duties as assigned including being a project lead and/or serving on task forces, committees, etc.
- Master’s of Library Science Degree from an ALA accredited program of higher learning and one to three years’ of experience; or Bachelor’s Degree and five to seven years’ of related experience preferably in management or customer service.
- Ability to express self effectively and concisely both orally and in writing.
- Must be able to perform duties at remote locations, provide personal transport as needed.
- Acts with the customer in mind using information gained from interacting with the customers. Meets the expectations and requirements of external and internal customers.
HIGHLY PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments to direct reports and guides progress through consistent feedback. Encourages people to accept developmental activities in pursuit of career or position goals. Takes on working with staff that needs further development.
- Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team. Fosters open dialogue. Defines success in terms of the whole team. Creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
- Ability to set clear objectives and measure and monitor process, progress and results, including fiscal control.
- Adept at process management; knows how to organize people and activities. Can simplify complex processes, see opportunities for synergy and integration and apply appropriately to get more out of fewer resources.
- Uses rigorous logic and problem solving methods, as well as honest analysis, to solve difficult problems with effective solutions. Can see hidden problems and looks beyond the obvious to get to the core issue. Investigates a variety of sources for answers.
- Empowers others and creates a climate in which people want to do their best. Invites input from each person and shares ownership and visibility. Is someone people like working for and with.