The Prince George's County Memorial Library System (PGCMLS) is seeking a Teen Services Specialist. Under the direction of the Program Services Manager, the Teen Services Specialist will organize and manage library services and programming for teens and young adults throughout the County. The Teen Services Specialist may be required to travel off-site and work occasional evenings and weekends for special events or outreach.
- Develops and advises on system guidelines and procedures to meet young adult and teen programming needs and goals.
- Leads professional development, ensuring that staff have current training and materials to perform their responsibilities.
- Plans, coordinates, and implements young adult and teen programs, including, but not limited to One Maryland One Book, Books for the Beast, and Teentober.
- Assists with the preparation, promotion, and implementation of seasonal reading challenges and Summer @ Your Library events.
- Cultivates and maintains relationships with teen services staff, agencies, and schools.
- Stays abreast of current issues and trends related to young adult and teen programming.
- Assists with division initiatives as needed. (e.g. English Language Learners, Family Literacy, and system initiatives.)
- Represents the library at community events, professional conferences, state-wide meetings, schools, etc.
- In collaboration with the Development Department, applies for and administers grant money for teen and young adult programming when appropriate.
- Prepares statistical and narrative reports for the Program Services Manager, COO for Communication and Outreach, Leadership Team, and Board of Library Trustees.
- Works closely with Senior Services Specialist.
- Keeps abreast of current library policies and procedures.
- Assists with special projects as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university required; or, Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited library and information sciences program preferred.
- Minimum two (2) years of library work experience preferred; or, experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Ability to acquire Library Associate certification from the Maryland State Department of Education within two years of hire; or, Professional Public Librarian certification within six-months of hire.
- Valid driver’s license in good standing for use of Library vehicles, as needed.
- Demonstrated experience and passion working with teen and young adult populations.
- Considerable knowledge of principles of youth development, reading skills acquisition, learning theories and philosophies and educational techniques.
- Knowledge of public library reference tools, including web and database searching.
- Ability to gain thorough knowledge of Prince George’s County Memorial Library System’s practices, policies and procedures.
- Ability to act as a representative of Prince George’s County Memorial Library System’s to the public.
Position offers a competitive salary based on experience and full benefits. Electronically submit application materials by visiting www.pgcmls.info/Employment.
Location/Region: East Prince George's County