Circulation Manager – Huron Public Library
Education and Experience required for this position:
1. Bachelor's degree with emphasis in Library Science required, MLS preferred.
2. Assists the Library Director with training and scheduling employees who are
assigned to the circulation desk.
3. Oversees the work of employees on the circulation desk, checking for accuracy and
that work is completed in compliance with library policies and procedures.
4. Has knowledge of the library’s circulation software (integrated library system/ILS)
and is the primary person for patron record data.
5. Conduct a variety of duties at the Circulation Desk to include: loaning/returning of
library materials through use of automated circulation system; monetary
transactions, book reserves, shelf maintenance, data inputting, telephone
monitoring, material order preparations, cataloging of library materials, processing
of library materials, and other duties as necessary and assigned by supervisor.
Comprehensive Benefit Package to include:
- Health Insurance Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Term Life Insurance Plan
- Vacation / Sick Leave
- Wage: $14.43 – $17.27 hour DOQ
Application Packets Available At:
- Huron Public Library, 521 Dakota Ave S, Huron SD 57350, Phone: 605-353-8530
- City Finance Office, 239 Wisconsin Ave SW, PO Box 1369, Huron SD 57350, Phone: 605-353-8505
- Online: www.huronsd.com, select the “City Government” tab, then go to “City Employment”
- South Dakota Dept of Labor & Regulation, 2361 Dakota Avenue South, Huron SD 57350, Phone: 605-353-7155
- George Merkel, Civil Service Secretary/Examiner, P.O. Box 226, Huron SD 57350, Phone: 605-352-4226
- Application Deadline: Open until Filled
CITY OF HURON BENEFIT SUMMARY as of 1/1/2017
This is an Ordinance position and there is a 1040 hour probationary period.
- Employees accrues 3.7 hours per pay period of sick leave.
- Maximum accrual of sick leave is 600 hours.
- Sick leave accrues during the first six (6) months but is not usable until employee completes 1040
- regular work hours.
a. Group 1 - During the first year of employment, shall be credited with 1.54 hours vacation per pay
period, forty (40) hours.
b. Group 2 – After one (1) year of continuous service, shall be credited with 3.08 hours vacation per
pay period, eighty (80) hours.
c. Group 3 – After seven (7) years of continuous service, shall be credited with 4.62 hours vacation
per pay period, one hundred twenty (120) hours.
d. Group 4 – After fifteen (15) years of continuous service, shall be credited with 6.16 hours vacation per pay period, one hundred sixty (160) hours.
e. All vacation accrues during the employee’s first 6 months and is usable immediately following
1040 regular work hours.
f. Maximum accrual is 200 hours.
Retirement: The City of Huron participates in the South Dakota Retirement System. It is mandatory that all employees participate. Employee’s contribution rate is 6% of gross salary and the city matches this amount which forms the employee’s retirement fund. Upon termination of employment, an employee has the option to withdraw their contributions plus any interest earned on their contribution. An employee is vested after 3 years and would receive 85% of the matching
contribution. If less than 3 years, employee would receive 50% of the match. A 457 Supplemental Retirement Plan is available at the option of the employee after the completion of 1040 regular work hours.
Health Insurance: The city provides group health coverage through Avera. For employees who elect to participate the city pays 100% of the premium for single coverage. There are two plans available, a $2000 traditional plan deductible or $4,000 deductible Health Savings Account. On the $2k deductible plan, once the deductible is met, there is a 20% coinsurance with a maximum of 2 times the deductible per benefit period. Each family unit shall be subject to no more than two (2) deductible Coinsurance payments per Benefit Period. The $2000 deductible plan provides a prescription drug benefit a $10.00, $25.00, $35.00 co-pay for a 30 day supply. The $4,000 Health Savings Account, employee pays for all prescriptions until the maximum deductible is met. All full-time city employees will be eligible for term life insurance and city health insurance on the first day of the month following 30 days of employment with the city. Family cost $2k plan is $835.02 per month. Family cost H.S.A. is $698.98 per month.
Supplemental Insurance: The employee has the option to enroll in the following supplemental
insurance: AFLAC, Dental, Vision Service Plan (VSP). 100% of the premium is paid by the
employee with pre-tax dollars after the completion of 1040 regular work hours. Term Life: $25,000.00 Term Life is available. The city pays 50% of the premium.
City of Huron Job Description
JOB TITLE: Circulation Services Manager
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Assistant Library Director and Library Director
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION: Position is responsible for supervising Circulation and
Adult Services activities and staff; work varies, individual judgment within established
standards and procedures may be required. Position is full time, year round with minimum of
40 hours per week. Some nights and weekends may be required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Physical requirements include sitting, walking, standing,
bending, stooping, climbing ladders, and lifting up to 35#s (greater with assistance). The
position requires extensive close work (eyestrain), extensive PC monitoring, on‐call status and
some travel to meetings. Work is performed in a controllable atmosphere, which may become
noisy at times due to library programs. There may be some exposure to angry or hostile
individuals. Responsible for referring accounts to the collection agency.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY AND PERFORMANCE:
- Assists the Library Director with training and scheduling employees who are assigned to the circulation desk.
- Assists the Library Director in writing and implementing library policies and procedures that reflect circulation desk duties.
- Oversees the work of employees on the circulation desk, checking for accuracy and that work is completed in compliance with library policies and procedures.
- Makes daily decisions on circulation issues and informs the Library Director when issues arise.
- Has knowledge of the library’s circulation software (integrated library system/ILS) and is the primary person for patron record data.
- Educate patrons and monitor their use of the Internet, electronic full‐text databases, and/or word processing; Assist patrons with the use of microfilm reader/scanner/printer, photocopier and other electronic machines; etc.
- Routinely responds to patron inquiries and resolves patron concern, practicing excellence in customer service.
- Conduct a variety of duties at the Circulation Desk to include: loaning/returning of library materials through use of automated circulation system; monetary transactions, book reserves, shelf maintenance, data inputting, telephone monitoring, material order preparations, cataloging of library materials, processing of library materials, and other duties as necessary and assigned by supervisor.
- Maintain the newspaper and periodical collection, which includes entering data into ILS, keeping abreast of publication patterns, adding issues to the collection, circulation of periodicals, withdrawal of issues and running claims reports.
- Oversee the overdue materials, which include notifying patrons, collecting fines and fees, and referring accounts to a collection agency.
- Communicate any unsafe conditions or accidents / injuries in a timely manner to supervisor in order to facilitate prompt correction or reporting.
- Maintains and promotes the characteristics of excellent customer service in assigned area.
- Keeps complete and accurate statistical records on division operations. Supplies accurate reports to administration as scheduled or requested.
- Selects materials for acquisition and withdrawal from the adult print and non‐print collections, as assigned; supervises the organization, maintenance, preservation, withdrawal, and disposal of materials.
- Provides reader's advisory guidance to patrons.
- Creates bibliographies, user guides, promotional materials, and publicity spotlighting the library collections, services, and programs.
- Creates displays to enhance the library experience and to promote use of library resources.
CUSTOMER SERVICE: This is a front‐line position for providing excellent customer service to
members of the general public and other City employees. Personal contact occurs with other
employees of the Library, employees of other City departments, and the public. Service is
provided in person, by mail, by electronic mail, or by telephone contact.
EXAMPLES OF PERFORMANCE CRITERIA AND QUALIFICATIONS: Maintains a cordial
relationship with the public and assists in the effective use of library resources. Maintains a
good working relationship with circulation desk staff. Suggests changes to library policy and
procedures that effect circulation desk services.
SUPERVISION ‐ RESPONSIBILITY FOR WORK OF OTHERS: Frontline manager for
circulation desk and library services, helping the Assistant Library Director with scheduling
and training of circulation staff and library activities.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Bachelors with emphasis
in Library Science required MLS preferred; Knowledge of library services. Must have at least
five years of experience with Integrated Library System software.
About this company
Public library serving a populations of 14,000 in a friendly family oriented prairie town in South Dakota.