Full-Time Children’s Librarian
Darien Library (CT) seeks a creative, energetic, and enthusiastic candidate to join a dedicated Youth Services Department as a full-time Children’s Librarian. This librarian will serve as the Early Literacy and Outreach Coordinator, planning and managing programming for the First Five Years, coordinating well-established outreach to community organizations, and managing Summer Reading relationships with Darien Schools.
The highly-motivated candidate will have a passion for public service, knowledge of children’s literature, experience working with youth specifically ages birth through age 5, a desire to thrive in a fast-paced environment, and will join a tight-knit and very collaborative team in providing extraordinary services to children.
Qualifications and Skills
- MLIS degree, or degree in progress, from an ALA-accredited library and information sciences graduate program required. 1-3 years experience in a children’s library setting, or equivalent event planning experience, preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and devotion to hospitality in public service.
- Ability to be highly collaborative, and coordinate programming for birth to five years with peers and outside performers.
- Experience with early literacy best practices including ECRR2 and Supercharged Storytime.
- Knowledge of the developmental needs of children at various ages, and corresponding library services and materials.
- Experience with PR, specifically with creating promotional material, including press releases and documents for the public.
- Attention to detail and strong aptitude in written and oral communication.
- Knowledge of current publishing trends and popular authors.
- Knowledge of current library trends, specifically within children’s services.
- Proficiency with new and emerging technologies, as well as Microsoft Office Applications. Knowledge of design software highly desirable.
- Bilingual candidates, or those with functional knowledge of another language, are highly desirable.
- A public and visible face of the Children’s Library, both within the library and outside in the community.
- Provides exemplary customer services to patrons on public desks in Youth Services.
- Creates and manages the yearly Registered Storytime calendar, including hiring outside performers, scheduling staff-led storytimes, and completing the Storytime Lottery.
- Conducts outreach visits to preschools, community organizations, and scouting groups.
- Manage all Public Relations for the Children’s Library
- Coordinates summer reading booktalking visits with elementary schools.
- Maintains strong relationships with various local organizations and individuals to provide outstanding outreach to the community.
- Maintains public calendars and all other promotional material for Children’s Services, including eblasts.
- Plans and conducts programming for children of all ages and their caregivers.
- Provides exemplary reference and readers’ advisory services to children, caregivers, and educators in the community.
- Maintains strong connections to relevant professional organizations.
- Participates in the collection development of print and digital materials for children birth to age twelve.
- Available to work one evening per week, and one weekend a month, in addition to special events.
Begins at $60,000 annually for a 37.5 hour week, and is commensurate with experience. Compensation includes generous vacation, sick, and personal leave. Significant opportunities for professional development available. Health benefits and town pension are included with this position.
For consideration please send a cover letter and resume to Mia Orobona, Assistant Head of Teen Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org by July 15, 2020.