Description of Duties and Responsibilities:
The University Library provides materials and services which support the University of North Carolina School of the Arts’ educational, artistic, and performance objectives, and which serve the intellectual, informational, and cultural needs of the students, faculty, and staff of the school, as well as other members of the local community. The University Librarian provides leadership for the library with the following:
- Responsible for hiring, performance management and professional development of library personnel. Directly and indirectly supervises 7 professional librarians and 8 support staff, providing leadership that fosters a positive rapport and a collaborative spirit among all library employees.
- Oversees Access Services, University Archives, Benjamin F. Ward Music Library, Reference, Systems, and Technical Services.
- Directs the exploration, development, and implementation of innovative services and tools that provide high quality, user‐focused learning experiences and foster student success.
- Promotes assessment strategies and data‐informed decision making, enhancing support for future choices and changes in library service.
- Leads processes by which the library is integrated into the campus community, working to support the curricula, student learning outcomes and the goals of the university.
- Collaborates with library colleagues and the Provost in long‐range planning and budgeting for the library.
- Enhances financial support for the library through the pursuit of proposals and grants.
Master’s degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution with a demonstrated record of at least 5 years of successful, progressively responsible library leadership at the academic/university level.
- Arts background
- Experience developing capacity for new and emerging areas of library focus – e.g. user experience, digital preservation, data collection, assessment, and digital scholarship.
- Experience acquiring funding through a diverse array of sources, including institutional funds, grant-writing, and fundraising.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated willingness to take risks, embrace change, and pioneer new approaches in library leadership.
- Proven ability and enthusiasm for working effectively and collaboratively with a diverse group of faculty, staff and students to reach common goals.
- Demonstrated experience with budgeting, financial management, and strategic resource allocation.
- Professional integrity, outstanding leadership qualities, and exceptional communication skills.
- Ability to articulate the role, mission, and strategic goals of the library within the artistic learning community.
- Demonstrated ability to value and encourage diversity, inspire, build trust, and lead organizational and cultural change.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Candidates must complete an application at: https://employment.uncsa.edu/postings/3532