EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you to explore our unique opportunities.
Discovery Service Engineer - China
EBSCOhost databases and discovery technologies are the most-used, premium online information resources for tens of thousands of institutions worldwide, representing millions of end-users. EBSCO Discovery Service™ (EDS) creates a unified, customized index of an institution’s information resources, and an easy, yet powerful means of accessing all of that content from a single search box. The ability to create these custom solutions is achieved by harvesting metadata from both internal (library) and external (database vendors) sources, and creating a pre-indexed service of unprecedented size, speed, and customization.
The Discovery Service Engineer (DSE or a.k.a. Sales Engineer) is the primary technical resource for the field sales force. The DSE is responsible for actively driving and managing the technology evaluation stage of the sales process, working in conjunction with the sales team as the key technical advisor and product advocate.
The DSE must be able to articulate technology and product positioning to both business and technical users. Must be able to identify all technical issues of assigned accounts to assure complete customer satisfaction through all stages of the sales process. Must be able to establish and maintain strong relationships throughout the sales cycle.
The DSE is responsible for development and delivery of product demonstrations. Responsible for representing the product to customers and at field events such as conferences, focus groups, etc. Able to respond to functional and technical elements of RFIs/RFPs. Able to convey customer requirements to Product Management teams. Able to travel throughout sales territory.
Ideal candidate must be self-motivated with a proven track record in a software, information, library sales support role and knowledge of technology. Comfortable in the dynamic atmosphere of a technical organization with a rapidly expanding customer base. Must possess strong presentation skills and be able to communicate professionally in written responses to emails and RFIs/RFPs. Organized and analytical, able to eliminate sales obstacles through creative and adaptive technical approaches.
- Regional authoritative expert on technology aspects of platform functionality, markets, trends
- Strive to be an EDS feature expert. Use the product(s) frequently and thoroughly. Gain continual knowledge progression of the technology platform by participating in frequent internal technology trainings and product strategy sessions.
- Act as the EDS technology champion for your region. Stay abreast of industry and technology trends. Conduct market research and competitive intelligence.
- Flow of feature enhancement requests from the field into Product Management and the SDLC process.
- Pre-sales customer presentations and meetings, and RFIs/RFPs
- Present EDS technology solutions as well as new releases and future features.
- Conduct sales presentations, focus groups, and other consultative customer requirements gathering exercises via frequent web-based and on-site sessions.
- RFI/RFP support.
- Support the trial process and initial post-sales support/nurturing•Perform administration and configuration of customer interface profiles, and training when appropriate.
- Troubleshoot customer specific issues (e.g. ILS integrations).
- Assist the Customer Satisfaction team on key accounts.
- Establish strong relationships with regional Sales and customer support teams, as well as existing and prospective customers.
- Customers’ tech gurus at key accounts.
- Manage relationships with key regional technology partners and vendors, when necessary.
- Create and manage Sales support tools
- Create PowerPoint presentations to convey technology concepts.
- Author and assist with documentation to support the regional pre-sales process
- Assist Customer Satisfaction/Success and Marketing with product marketing deliverables and authoring content for FAQs, Help, customer communications, and white papers.
- Provide regular updates to Discovery Service Engineering management, keeping the flow of information and lines of communication open.
- Positive Attitude
- Good Judgement
- Open Communication
- Desire to Make an Impact
- Eager to Understand
- Team Player
- Minimum three (3) years of progressive experience in Consulting, Product Management, Sales or related field.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience and excellence in presenting technology, Internet, or software application products to internal and external audiences and various levels of Management.
- Minimum two (2) years experience with EBSCOhost products, Integrated Library Systems (ILS), Institutional Repositories, or other closely related web applications and/or library technology products.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Library Science, or a related field.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Chinese.
- Ability to travel approximately 50% within to regional and international locations: customer sites, conferences, and focus groups.
- Experience with portal software (e.g. VuFind, SharePoint) and programming with Application Programming Interfaces (API) in a web application language (e.g. PHP, Ruby, Java, C#, ASP.Net).
- Expertise in Integrated Library Systems (ILS) products and protocols (e.g. Z39.50, OpenURL, NCIP).
- Experience with institutional repository software and standards (e.g. OAI-PMH).
- Proficiency in large data file analysis (e.g. MARC, XML) and manipulation.
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate thoughts and ideas in person, over the telephone, and in written correspondence to small and large groups and to different management levels and departments within organizations.
- Experience and strong technology skills in a variety of Internet technologies, with an ability to rapidly learn and adapt to new technology.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently is critical, while maintaining team involvement and meeting deadlines and deliverables. Extremely organized, detail oriented, and accurate; with strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Previous experience with the interface usability habits of universities and research institutions’ various types of users such as students, researchers, faculty, and librarians.
EBSCO Information Services is a company headquartered in the United States and the personal information collected on its websites may be sent to, stored or processed in the United States, or to any other country in which EBSCO Information Services or its affiliates, subsidiaries or agents maintain facilities. While EBSCO Information Services is committed to providing your voluntarily disclosed employment application information with a reasonable level of privacy protection, you should know that the general level of protection for personal information in the United States may not be the same as that provided in other countries. By using the EBSCO Information Services website and/or providing EBSCO Information Services with personal identifiable information, you fully understand and unambiguously consent to the transfer and the collection and processing of such information in the United States. Job Segment:
Engineer, Developer, Consulting, Computer Science, Field Sales, Engineering, Technology, Sales Apply now
About this company
EBSCO Way is the philosophy we grow by. In addition to ten operating principles, these are the characteristics we value in our people and teams. We strive to fill our businesses with teams of motivated, positive people, unified by a shared set of principles and practices, focused on common objectives. We know from experience that environments like that create success and endless possibilities. We strive for a culture of entrepreneurship. We seek new ideas and encourage innovation. Successful team members are entrepreneurial by nature.
Location/Region: Ipswich, MA (US)