The Library Director plans, manages, and directs the operations, programs, services of the Humboldt County Library system, including the main branch in Winnemucca, NV and the satellite branches in Denio, NV and McDermott, NV.
This is a chief executive level position responsible for overall management and operations of the Library. The position reports directly to the Library’s Board of Trustees and the County. The position is responsible for ensuring that the Library’s mission, policies, and practices are in alignment, and that its strategic objectives are being met. The Library Director is an “at-will” employee serving at the pleasure of the Board of Trustees.
The Library Director:
- Manages all areas of Library operations in a manner that ensures efficient delivery of high-quality services.
- Assesses Library needs and develops a budget to meet those needs with available resources.
- Pursues grants and any other sources of funding.
- Evaluates efficiency and effectiveness of Library services, and develops recommendations for improvement in these areas.
- Stays abreast of trends, legislation, and regulations which may impact Library operations.
- Presents information orally and in writing to the Library Board of Trustees, other organizations, the media, the public, and others.
- Works closely with the Library Board of Trustees and the County on developing policy and strategic objectives; implements and enforces policies and objectives
- Serves as a staff representative to the Library Board of Trustees and facilitates Board meetings.
- Hires, trains, supervises, and monitors performance of Library personnel.
- Promotes public knowledge of and interest in Library services and programs, and serves as a liaison to the community.
CERTIFICATIONS AND CREDENTIALS:
Applicants must have or be able to promptly obtain a Nevada Librarian’s Certification (NAC 379.010) or a Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited institution. Applicants must hold a valid driver’s license or possess a suitable means of transportation. Applicants must pass a background and reference check. Prior management experience in a library system is preferred.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE:
The Humboldt County Library Board of Trustees is seeking applicants with:
- Appreciation of cultural and economic underpinnings of a rural community.
- Proven leadership and community relations skills.
- Experience with strategic long-range planning.
- Public sector budgeting and grant writing experience.
- Knowledge of the latest library technology.
- Effective communication and marketing skills.
- Ability to strengthen relationships with the local community and the Library’s partners.
Applicants are required to submit the following:
- Letter of interest;
- Completed application form (available at http://www.hcnv.us/application.htm or https://humboldtcountylibrary.com/director-position-open/);
- Copy of transcripts; and
- Minimum of three professional references
to Eric Milavsky at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications received on or before 5:00 p.m. on March 1, 2018 will be given preference. The Library may not consider applications beyond that date. If you have any questions regarding this position or the recruitment process, contact Eric Milavsky at (775) 887-2240.
This recruitment will be handled in accordance with Nevada’s Open Meeting Law. Applicant finalists will be interviewed by the Library Board in an open meeting. Humboldt County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For additional information regarding Humboldt County, please visit www.hcnv.us
Location/Region: Winnemucca, NV (US)