Today more than ever, libraries are essential leaders for strengthening communities, dismantling systemic racism and closing social equity gaps so that all individuals can achieve success.
The Urban Libraries Council is an outcomes-driven research and innovations network of more than 150 leading North American public libraries. We are committed to three strategic focus areas – education, digital equity and healthy, sustainable communities.
The ULC Director of Strategic Initiatives has the opportunity to catalyze action for real impact by developing and leading targeted programs to strengthen libraries. This full-time position is located in Washington, D.C. and reports to the President and CEO.
The Director of Strategic Initiatives will have the opportunity to:
- Advance systemic change for major North American cities and counties.
- Build programs that strengthen communities and improve the lives of individuals and families.
- Connect library executives to leaders, innovations and cutting-edge research on anti-racism, social justice, education, business and government.
- Create alliances and partnerships to reduce barriers and increase the effectiveness of libraries.
- Establish tools and frameworks to measure the community impact of public libraries.
ULC seeks a Director of Strategic Initiatives with a proven program track record and commitment to innovation and equity. In addition, this leader will be intellectually curious, collaborative, a critical thinker and a strong writer.
The Director of Strategic Initiatives will:
- Lead ULC’s programs, research and peer learning networks across our initiatives on race and social equity, economic/workforce development, education, digital equity and strong families.
- Understand emerging trends for large cities/counties, race and social equity collective impact efforts and local government priorities and metrics, and the relevance of these trends to the work and mission of the public library.
- Manage and implement complex multi-year programs and demonstration projects including mentoring and managing staff and senior consultants and building strategic partnerships.
- Cultivate funder relationships, conversations and connections and obtain foundation/corporate support for ULC’s initiatives and programs.
Statement on COVID-19
ULC is committed to fostering a safe and productive work environment. Until such time as science and local governments deem safe, the ULC staff is working remotely and all business travel has been suspended. Please note, as a collaborative team environment and close-knit organization, ULC does anticipate that, when safe, in-person operations will resume including full-time office hours and regular business travel.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience. ULC offers employees a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, disability and life insurance and an employer funded retirement plan.
Cover letter and resume should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of Angela Goodrich, Finance and Administration Executive.