Description: Carnegie Public Library of Clarksdale and Coahoma County Administrative Board of Trustees seeks a creative and innovative Library Director who can continue to grow a vibrant public library system. The successful applicant must be enthusiastic, innovative, and very public service oriented with excellent traditional library skills, as well as, the ability to effectively use technologies.
Situated in northwest area of state known as the Mississippi Delta, Coahoma County, Mississippi is a short drive to Oxford, Memphis, Little Rock, and Jackson. Considered the home of the Blues, the county has a mild climate, an amazingly rich history, and numerous leisure opportunities.
The Library System consists of one (1) library facility; a collection of 80,000 items and a service area population of approximately 24,000.
Responsibilities: • Report to ten-member Administrative Library Board of Trustees • Supervise 11 full and part-time employees • Develop, revise, and administer library policy • Perform hands-on grants management from writing to managing to reporting; E-Rate filings; and federal & state grants • Oversee materials collection, automated library system, and public access computers • Perform public service functions as needed • Manage annual budget • Oversee building repair/ maintenance • Use state Accreditation Program benchmarks to guide long-range planning and service delivery efforts • Implement technological innovations and other 21st Century library services to meet changing needs of residents • Develop and deliver library programming throughout county • Establish & maintain professional library relationships • Participate in local service organizations and other community groups • Maintain and further develop positive relationships with officials in city & county
- Master’s degree in Library Science (MLS) from American Library Association (ALA)-accredited library school
- Bachelor’s degree and agree to acquire MLS from ALA-accredited library school within three (3) years
- Strong interpersonal skills. Demonstrated leadership skills. Self-motivated. Creative. Strong oral and written communication skills. Excellent organizational skills. Proficient in Microsoft Office products and Quick Book. Experience in maintenance of websites/blogs/ social network. Dependable personal transportation.
- Experience with APOLLO library automation software and technology essential.
- Frequent travel to community activities throughout System. Travel to library-related continuing education programs and conferences.
- Preferred: At least two (2) years of progressively responsible library experience and supervisory background. Reside in Coahoma County.
Salary: Range $45,000 to $55,000. Negotiable, within range, based on credentials & experience.
Benefits: Personal/medical leave, health & life insurance, and participation in Mississippi Public Employees' Retirement System. Job-related travel expenses reimbursed.
Submit: Cover letter, resume, three (3) professional references with contact information, and statement of public library service philosophy to
. DEADLINE for receipt of applications: May 21, 2018.
Carnegie Public Library of Clarksdale and Coahoma County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Location/Region: Clarksdale, MS