Social Sciences Data and Sociology Librarian
Princeton University Library
Requisition # D-18-LIB-00025
Princeton University Library seeks a highly collaborative, innovative and service-oriented professional to supportthe University’s increased focus on social sciences data research in the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, and to provide in-depth quantitative reference and research services. This position is also the Library’s subject liaison to the Department of Sociology, supporting undergraduate course and independent work, the graduate student program, and faculty teaching and research. The Department incorporates both quantitative and qualitative approaches to social sciences; courses and research reflect social dimensions of economics, politics, history, psychology and demography. The successful candidate will oversee the Library’s collections in sociology, manage acquisitions funds in this area, and work closely with subject selectors in related areas on collection development and collaborative collection building.
The Social Sciences Data and Sociology Librarian actively participates in a dynamic team environment in the Donald E. Stokes Library and with other social sciences librarians and data specialists to develop and efficiently implement instructional, outreach, research and reference services to Princeton University students and faculty. Creates research guides to promote access to subject-specific and data sources. Represents Princeton in relevant professional and scholarly organizations. This position is part of the Library’s Scholarly Collections and Research Services Department.
The Princeton University Library is one of the world’s leading research libraries. It employs a dedicated and knowledgeable staff of more than 300 professional and support staff working in a large central library, 9 specialized branches, and 3 storage facilities. The Library supports a diverse community of 5,200 undergraduates, 2,800 graduate students, 1,200 faculty members, and many visiting scholars. Holdings include more than 10 million printed volumes, 5 million manuscripts, 2 million non-print items, and extensive collections of digital text, data, and images. More information: http://library.princeton.edu/
- An ALA-accredited Master's degree in library/information science OR equivalent combination of education & professional library experience.
- Academic degree in sociology; or a degree in a related social science with very strong coursework in sociology.
- Experience assisting users with quantitative data in an academic or research setting; expertise with statistical databases and data repositories.
- Minimum 2 years professional experience relevant to reference or research in an academic or special library.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work successfully and collegially with a diverse group of scholars and colleagues.
- Advanced degree in sociology.
- Familiarity with resources in sociology and related areas, such as economics, politics, and demography.
- Experience conducting instruction and outreach in an academic setting or equivalent experience with instruction, outreach, and assistance for individual researchers.
- Ability to work effectively in a rapidly changing environment.
Applications will be accepted only from the Jobs at Princeton website at http://www.princeton.edu/jobs and must include a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references with full contact information.
Princeton University is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This position is subject to the University's background check policy.
Direct link to posting: https://puwebp.princeton.edu/AcadHire/apply/application.xhtml?listingId=6561
Location/Region: Princeton, New Jersey