While Shout Mouse Press is currently operating remotely, candidates are expected to reside within commuting distance of our headquarters in Washington, DC. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with priority given to those received by May 15, with a target start date of July 2021.
About Shout Mouse Press
Shout Mouse Press (shoutmousepress.org) is dedicated to centering and amplifying the voices of marginalized youth (ages 12+) via writing workshops, publication, and public speaking opportunities. The young people we coach are underrepresented--as characters and as creators--within young people’s literature, and their perspectives underheard. Our work provides a platform for them to tell their own stories and, as published authors, to act as leaders and agents of change.
SMP authors have produced original children’s books, novels, comics, memoirs, and poetry collections that expand empathy, advance social justice, and increase understanding of underheard perspectives. Since our founding in 2014 we have produced 45 books by 350+ incarcerated, immigrant, Black, low-income, and otherwise marginalized youth in Greater Washington, D.C. and Haiti.
Shout Mouse Press is looking for a self-motivated, mission-driven, marketing-savvy Publishing Manager with knowledge of children’s book sales/marketing and a passion for diverse books. This person is responsible for raising visibility of our youth authors and their books through strategic outreach and marketing campaigns (social media, PR, reviews, events), as well as managing sales, inventory, and printer/distributor relationships. This is an ideal position for candidates seeking an opportunity to work in a small, non-profit environment while making high organizational impacts. This is a NEW position, and thus applicants should be excited about co-creating and independently building new procedures and infrastructure to support publishing growth.
The ideal candidate will be well-versed in the children’s and YA books marketplace and eager to promote diverse, #OwnVoices books that promote empathy and social justice. Relevant backgrounds could include publishing (marketing / sales), youth library services, and/or bookselling.
This position reports directly to the Executive Director, and works closely with all members of the Shout Mouse Press team, including Partnerships Director, Communications/Development Manager, Program Manager, Author Fellow, and outreach interns.
Essential Job Responsibilities
This job description provides a general guideline to duties and responsibilities expected and essential for this new position. It is not all inclusive and the actual position may vary as circumstances indicate or as determined by the team.
● Develop, implement, and analyze creative marketing strategies that increase visibility and expand audience for all frontlist (5-6 new titles/year) and backlist titles
● Maintain an in-depth understanding of and actively engage in conversations around #OwnVoices, #DiverseBooks, #KidLit, industry authors, and all of our books
● Work directly with Communications Manager to develop and maintain editorial calendar; coordinate on annual book sales campaigns and outreach materials
○ Manage Shout Mouse Press social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube), in collaboration with Communications Manager
○ Devise strategy for and run annual holiday #Booksgiving campaign to meet sales goals ○ Create and maintain relationships with “Megaphones,” a volunteer corps of committed supporters, to increase grassroots awareness of our titles
● Seek reviews, awards, and media coverage for all books
○ Develop creative and effective pitches and press releases for books and authors ○ Actively develop and maintain strong relationships with media contacts, including national, regional, local, online, and podcasts related to young people’s literature
○ Coordinate mailings of review copies and award submissions, maintaining accurate records within title management system
○ Actively maintain internal communications with Shout Mouse team, giving frequent updates on confirmed and pending reviews, awards, interviews, and other press hits
● Work directly with Programs Manager to coordinate Author Talks and related events ○ Pitch books and authors for readings, panels, interviews, and other events (virtual and in-person) for bookstores, schools, colleges, universities, festivals, etc.
○ Serve as a facilitator for in-person and virtual events for authors.
● Oversee Shout Mouse’s involvement in annual industry conferences (ALA, NCTE, etc.), including securing and planning booths, marketing materials, author events
Sales / Book Donations
● Manage relationships with digital and print sales consultants to maximize partnerships, sales, and distribution opportunities
● Develop and maintain relationships with local bookstores, libraries, school districts, managing sales ● Manage annual book donation campaign(s) to communities of readers in need
● Manage metadata and sales information through SMP’s title management software. ● Manage relationships with printers, distributors, and fulfillment centers
● Mange bulk sales quotes, orders, and invoicing
● Manage inventory on-site at Shout Mouse office + in off-site fulfillment centers
● Manage author interns in on-site order fulfillment and related sales tasks
This position primarily requires a hybrid work environment including in-office, at-home, and on-site events. Sitting for long periods of time is typical for this position but brief periods of walking or standing may occur. Nonessential functions of this job include the ability to lift boxes or bags weighing less than 25 pounds to a height of 3-4 feet at times.
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position. We are looking for someone with relevant skills and experience, not a checklist that exactly matches the job description. We want to help you grow and in return, you help us grow into a stronger, more inclusive organization.
● 3+ years experience in related field: publishing, book sales, and/or youth library services ● Knowledge of the children’s and YA literature landscape, especially #DiverseBooks and #OwnVoices ● Exceptional written and oral communication skills, including public speaking
● Proficient technology skills including all social media sites, GSuite, Adobe Suite
● Knowledge of DC literary marketplace, including bookstores, authors, and KidLit organizations ● Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and desire to build systems and infrastructure ● A commitment to social justice and the role that the arts play in social change
● Strong intercultural competency and comfort working in culturally diverse team settings ● High level of organization with excellent attention to detail
● Ability to travel to conferences, meetings and special events
● Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some extended workdays, evenings, and some weekends, pending book event schedules
● Experience working directly with youth
● Experience in marketing and/or sales in a book publishing environment
● Working knowledge of design principles to create social media and marketing materials ● Experience with online accounting systems and title management software
Access, Equity, and Inclusion
Shout Mouse Press is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Shout Mouse is committed to building a culturally diverse team and to providing professional development opportunities for the next generation of diverse artists and writers. We strongly encourage applicants who are people of color, LGBTQ+, disabled, and/or members of otherwise marginalized groups.
Compensation and Benefits
At Shout Mouse we prioritize flexibility and work-life balance. This position is salaried, at 30-40 hours/week. While Shout Mouse Press is currently operating remotely, once in-person work safely resumes, candidates are expected to work from the Shout Mouse office in Dupont Circle, Washington, D.C. a minimum of 10 hours/week.
The starting full-time salary for this position is $55,000-$65,000, and compensation is commensurate with experience. Benefits include a flexible work environment, monthly tax-free healthcare reimbursements, and a generous PTO schedule with paid holidays. We are committed to leadership development and prioritize continuing education opportunities for all staff.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and relevant writing sample (500 word maximum) to JoinTheTeam @ ShoutMousePress.org. Please ensure that your cover letter details not only your relevant work experience but also your mission alignment with our work, and how diversity, equity, and inclusion guides the work you do. Applicants seeking a long-term relationship with Shout Mouse will get first consideration. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, with a deadline of May 15, 2021 and a target start date of July 2021.