SALARY: $53,600.00- $83,152.00 Annually
CLOSING DATE: 10/04/2111:59 PM
In accordance with the Merit System Rules and Regulations,an eligible list,which will be valid fora one-year period and which will be used to fill vacancies during that period,is being established for this classification. Applicantson the eligible list will be certified n accordance with the Merit System and appropriate union contracts.
Candidates may submit online employment applications using the NEOGOV online application system available at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/nccde.
EXAMINATION PROCESS:The examination process for this posting may include an evaluation of training and experience, a written examination, a computerized exam, an oral board interview examination, a performance examination or any combination of the above in order to qualify applicants for placement on the eligible list. The eligible list will be used to fill vacancies that occur within the next year. The appropriate number of names on the eligible list as prescribed by Merit System Section 26.03.505 will be certified to the hiring department for consideration to fill the vacant position(s).
New employees are generally hired at the starting salary and may be eligible for merit increases each year upon receipt of a satisfactory performance evaluation, up to the maximum salary.
New Castle County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:Performs professional,supervisory, and administrative work within an automated library system;provides services to the general public to access information and learning through materials such as books and paper records as well as technology and electronic databases;uses the latest information and technology to help library patrons who seek assistance; performs research and analysis; classifies and organizes materials; conducts training, instruction and delivers programs at the public library;focuses on patron services and does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:An employee in this class applies professional library techniques and procedures to perform work in all areas of library service.Responsibilities include customer service to the public, planning,organizing,and conducting activities in the major service units including reference and reader advisory services,youth services,adult services,and technical services. Supervision is exercised over full and part time library staff.This employee exercises discretion and judgment in carrying out responsibilities consistent with County and departmental policies and procedures. As experience and knowledge are gained,the employee will be expected to perform tasks of progressively increasing difficulty. The employee works as a memberof a team in the library under the general supervision of a library manager or designee and may be called upon to serve as unit manager when necessary.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only)
- Plans,organizes,coordinates,supervises,and provides reference and information in a major service component of a library;
- Specializesin reference services to children,teen and/oradults based on organizational need;
- Interprets and explains library regulations to the public and the staff;
- Plans and implements library programs for the public;
- Develops programmatic partnerships with private and public community groups;
- Reviews and selects materials for inclusion in the collection;
- Maintains and develops collection in light of community needs and makes recommendations for collection developmentin a network environment;
- Assists in budget preparation;
- Trains,supervises,schedules, and evaluates staff work activities;
- Consults with the manager in formulating plans,procedures and policies for the overall operation of the library;
- Develops and provides training programs for staff;
- Prepares and develops publicity for library programs and services;
- Participates in the selection process to fill vacant positions;
- Schedules and plans special projects and exhibits;
- Compiles statistics for quarterly,annual, and special reports;
- Prepares and develops publicity for library programs and services;
- Participates in the activities of professional organizations;
- Reads professional literature to keep informed of current trends,new professional techniques,and library automation;
- In technical services,plans,organizes,coordinates,and supervises the acquisition and physical processing of all library materials and develops acquisitions and cataloging functions in the automated system;
- Participates in making cataloging policy;
- Responsible for original and complex copy cataloging of printand non-print materials;
- Maintains database by supervising responses to error reports, authority problems, and questions from system libraries;
- Provides on site supervision for the facility and for the safety of patrons and staff;
- Assists other staff with customer service at the public computers and circulation desk as required;
- Facilitates use of public meeting rooms and other areas of library for community and civic purposes;
- Develops partnerships to foster literacy and reading skills for new language learners;
- Assists patrons seeking employment with on-line applications and resources;
- Promotes the library as acenter fo rinclusion and diversity in the community;
- Operates a personal computer and other related equipment in the course of the work;
- Promotes an ongoing attitude of dedication to excellent public service and ensures that external and internal customers are provided withthe highest quality of service.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, techniques,and methods of library science and administration, including such activities as general reference, classification,cataloging,acquisition,children's and young adult service, adult service,and automated systems; ability to use a personal computer and other related equipment; self-motivated and able to create and/or appreciate new ideas, approaches to operations and/ororganization; ability to communicate courteously and effectively, both verbally and in writing, and to work effectively with other staff and the public; ability to plan,organize and supervise the work of others; ability to work in a team environment to deliver service to the public.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Possession of a Master's Degree in Library Science from a graduate library school accredited by the American Library Association or other professional accrediting agency.
PREFERRED REQUIREMENT: Preference will be given for professional experience in a public library.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:Must pass a Class III County physical examination and a background check.
Office of Human Resources
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
87 Reads Way
NewCastle, DE19720 (302) 395-5161
LIBRARIAN I (PAY GRADE26) AFSCME LOCAL 3109
LIBRARIAN I (Pay Grade 26) AFSCME LOCAL 3109 Supplemental Questionnaire
*1.Do you possess a Master's Degree in Library Science from a graduate library school accredited by the American Library Association or other professional accredited agency?
*2.Do you have professional experience in a public library? A public library is defined as follows: a library that is accessible to the general public and funded by tax dollars. If yes, please describe your experience indetail.
* Required Question
Location/Region: New Castle, DE