The Commissioner for Libraries provides strategic leadership of library programs throughout the state. Collaborates with professional departmental personnel, local library officials, and the government community to align library service with the needs and development opportunities of the Commonwealth.
Responsible for policy formulation and implementation, fiscal administration, service enhancement, constituent engagement and communication. Functions as executive director to the Governor’s Advisory Council on Library Development and recommends legislative policy.
Our ideal candidate will posses the following key leadership skills:
- Communication: Maintains effective communication with state government officials, department staff, and the library community through active listening, and transparency. Keeps all parties informed of the process and the outcomes.
- Trust: Instills trust with a passion for the value of libraries and the organization’s vision and mission. Works with honesty, integrity, and authenticity. Provides follow-through on commitments and promises, with consistent behavior and messages. Actively values differences in ideas and people.
- Strategic Mindset: Has a strategic mindset. Understands opportunities and drives innovation leading to change. Takes intelligent risks. Creates strategies which drive all decisions.
- Situational Adaptability: Adapts to rapidly changing situation. Manages competing demands from internal and external forces. Is able to manage the quickly changing demands of the position.
- Attracts and Retains Top Talent: Creates a workplace where people want to work. Provides opportunities for growth in positions.
- Organizational Savvy: Maintains political astuteness, and understands how to make progress in a large bureaucracy. Takes the time to learn the history and dynamics of the system, and then uses that knowledge as a springboard for change: takes a good thing and make it better.
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Monday - Friday
Lunch Period: 1 Hour
This position may require occasional night/weekend hours.Telework:
Telework eligible (part-time): You will have the opportunity to work from home (telework) up to 3 days a week. In order to telework, you must have a securely configured high-speed internet connection. If you are unable to telework, you will have the option to report to the headquarters office in Harrisburg.